Sunday 15 March 2015

Week 24: Sweeping It Under The Rug

The same problem from last week with Blueprinting has followed me into this week too, I tried again on Monday and nothing had changed. So I am going to be honest, I've dropped it and moved onto more productive stuff, any more time spent on the UI Blueprint will just be wasted now.

I haven't just let the HUD hang in limbo though, that would be bad practice in my opinion, so I have come up with an alternative plan of action if no one else in the group can fix it which is to have tutorial pop ups explaining the controls instead.

Once I realized that the HUD was going no where I started working on the Main Menu design, where I created a quick concept to help get feedback from the group.


The concept was rough but the idea was liked, therefore I spent Tuesday and Wednesday making the menu for real. I had to recreate the original Alice's Adventure Underground book as the reference I had wasn't lit as nicely as I wanted. The creation of the title had to be done at home due to a lack of admin rights when it came to installing fonts when in studio, which was a bit of problem, and I still need to tweak the position of the "Wondering Lands" as it doesn't sit perfectly center.


Thursday morning I modeled the leaf piles I concepted, the ones that morph into a cat as the level progresses. The final model pile sits at 595 tris, the other 3 are below that as there's a lot less going on. It might look odd at the moment but I'm hoping it will look great when I texture it with alphas.


For the remainder of Thursday and Friday I started texturing! Something I have been wanting to do for a while. At the moment I have been tasked with creating the textures for the 3 houses I modeled a while back and as we are going for a hand-crafted kind of world that means I have to hand paint some textures; digital painting isn't my strongest area and neither is colour but I've given it my best. 


The house uses a 512 for the walls, roof and base, with another 512 for the windows and doors which is shared between the other 2 houses. At the moment I have only done the albedo for one house as it took me a while to find the correct style, but next week I should have all 3 PBR'ed up and complete, along with anything else I need to texture before the Easter Break.

No comments:

Post a Comment