Sunday 22 March 2015

Week 25: Texturing

The entire of this week has been dedicated to texturing, with me either preparing assets for texturing or actually texturing them. Playing around with the various capabilities of PBR and practicing hand-painted textures has made the last week enjoyable, even if I am quite slow at texturing. We also had our reviews this week and I have some life drawing to show!

Texturing

The first house took me a while to complete, as the roughness and normal maps required a good amount of tweaking to get correct along with my low skill in hand-painted textures. Once I got the first house out of the way however the speed picked up.

House_1

As each house is only a single 512 it became quite a challenge to keep the same texture quality through-out, especially with the larger second house. Keeping the doors and windows on a separate 512 did help with texture space however. Not every thing was hand-painted, like the book roofs for example were textured with actual books from the library.

House_2
House_3

Below is the texture sheet for house_3 as an example. There is no metalness on this house as we're going for a handcrafted paper world and I combined the roughness of all the 3 houses into a single RGB sheet to save on resources, which is why the roughness looks a little funky.

House_3 texture sheets

Review

Our reviews this week gave us a quick overview of how we're doing  and it's good to know that I am doing okay, but there's still room for improvement. Here is my action list on the things that I need to improve.

In order to improve my overall quality of work I will look at existing material, preferably from industry as reference. I've already taken this into account with the hand-painted textures where I found plenty of reference and tutorials on pinterest. I will try and do this with all future assignments too, especially for topology.

The second thing to improve upon was my naming conventions for my various files. I've found a good starting point to change this with a blogpost from someone[1] within industry detailing the various names for different files. I have already pushed this onto my texturing files.


The final thing that was noted is my attention to detail, more specifically submitting all the necessary files for any given project. I had forgot to submit any of the reference gathering or research I did for the dichotomous duo project which hurt my mark severely. Luckily I posted a lot of it on this blog which clearly showed I had done it so I've been able to resubmit it. 

Life Drawing

At long last I finally have some of my life drawing from the second year on a digital format and here it is! I know there isn't much but I suppose it's better than nothing. The majority of these are 10 minute poses.


That's it for another term. Easter break has started and I'll be texturing, animating and essaying (?) in order to not fall behind with work. I do also plan on catching up with a few games I've missed, like Bayonetta 2.

Notes & References
[1] UE4 naming conventions from www.tomlooman.com

No comments:

Post a Comment