Wednesday 29 January 2014

Quick Contour Drawings of Leicester.

The assignment after Christmas was to practice our contour drawings, using the city of Leicester. The length of this project was altered slightly to last 2 weeks, instead of the usual 1, this meant it was larger than other tasks. We had to do 12 finals with 12 thumbs each, that's a lot of drawing, luckily these had to be all fairly quick, trying to replicate various war artists using only pens and magic markers or ink washes.

Over the 2 weeks I explored Leicester, sitting in some odd places, fighting the wind and cold and also meeting many of the locals, who were all very accommodating considering I was more than likely just in the way. I even had one person offer me money, they were either very generous or that means I look homeless... fantastic. I had to decline the money.

I've put the drawings in the order that I did more or less, because I think you can see some progress as I get use to the techniques. I have noticed that the perspective is off in some of the finals and that a couple of the thumbs are better than their finals but I think I've managed to capture Leicester quite well in some of these!

Leicester Town Hall Park
Leicester Market
Leicester Bus Station
Leicester Cityscape, looking East
Leicester Highstreet
Along the River Soar
Leicester Cathedral
Welford Road
New Walk Museum & Art Gallery
Highcross Shopping Center
Dirt car park on Walnut Street 
Underground car park

No comments:

Post a Comment