Sunday 22 February 2015

Week 21: Assets!

This week of the Off The Map project has had me mostly modelling, which is fantastic because I've been able to put off working on the UI blueprints. At the start of the week I did manage to get parts of the UI to work so I havn't been avoiding it completely.

As I mentioned last week the UI blueprints link a lot more into other blueprints than I would have initially thought, so a I am finding it difficult to test out some parts of the UI. I did get the pause, resume and quit functions to work which is a good start. The design is terrible, I know, but at least a part of it is working.


I did work on the main menu too but getting that to load into a new level is beyond my blueprint comprehension at the moment. Once the level is in more of a final state, with the various checkpoints, working on the pause menu should be easier... I hope. During my time with the UI blueprints I did a quick concept for the leaf piles, as I needed a break half way in. 


I thought it would be interesting if the leaf piles slowly resembled the Cheshire cat as Alice went further into the rabbit hole. I didn't spend too much time on the blueprints after this and quickly turned my attention to modelling. I began with the simpler objects that I knew were going to be needed.


As the week progressed I continued modelling assets for the first area. I focused on the assets that I knew we would need or that could be used without much need of changing if a problem popped up. I found that I really quite enjoy modelling the mundane objects, like the cupboards or stack of books, I am just not sure what I enjoy about it yet.


The small town we're having in the center of the level is going to be a mining town, so I created a few props to link in with that, like a mining lantern and a cannery cage, other people in my group have made other props to help show that the town is a mining town. Eventually I moved on to the bigger objects, more specifically the various houses that would populate the town.


A lecturer recommended our group to look at the architect style of Strawberry Hill Gothic as a source of inspiration. When I saw the Strawberry Hill House I knew I had to try and incorporate some of the architectural features of it into our own buildings, so the window and door frames are based off the Strawberry Hill Gothic style and on the above house I added a small drum tower like the Strawberry Hill House.

Next week I have to unwrap all of the above, which is a terrible thing. I should have unwrapped as I modeled, but I made a huge mistake with that thought process. I should probably also mess around with the blueprints a bit more but I am dreading that as much as the unwrapathon, by the end of the week I might be able to finish on something fun by doing some more modelling.

No comments:

Post a Comment