Sunday 25 January 2015

Week 17: More Meshing About

Next week will be the final week of this Container City project and at the moment I feel like it is the calm before the storm. The main texturing is now done and I am creating extra assets to help populate the level; I also tried some Z-Brush this week but the results haven't really blown me away, I'll go over the outcome a little later.

Now that the texturing is finished on some of the assets, I can at last show off some of the work I've been doing over the last 2 weeks. I also feel a little more comfortable with the PBR system now, as I think I have captured some good likeness in the materials I am trying to simulate.

Below are a wooden beam and a generic stone block, which we'll be using to help break up some of the repetitive walls and also hide any unwanted seams or holes in the level. My aim for the wood was to have it look extremely weathered and worn, which I think I have done quite well thanks to an old park bench I found. The Altar I decided to create out of modular pieces, this way we can expand the design or size of the thing if needed and can also use some of the pieces elsewhere in the level.


I used Z-Brush on the altar and while some parts came out quite nice, such as the stone disk, other parts came out poorly, like the main building block is either missing the detail or looks oddly burnt, as you can see from the picture above. I however do think I've nailed the stone texture across the altar.

The logs had a problem with the texture looking repeated, as I can not stand easily noticeable, repeating textures so I had to readjust some of the unwrapping; without the use of Z-Brush I think I managed to capture the gnarled look of an old log.


I also had fun trying to imply a damper surface on the bottom of these stone pillars, where maybe dirt and water have been splashed about more. This isn't everything I have modeled, as there are a few smaller things that use the same texture space but there isn't much point in showing them. I am now making a few more assets to help fill some of the spaces, like altar seats, bones and a wall ornament, with some other ideas up my sleeves too. I just hope I can get this all done by the end of next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment