Sunday 30 November 2014

Week 9: Duos Continued

The last week has been a standard week, where I have been continuing on with the character duo project trying to get it completed for the deadline, only to find out that we've been given an extra week. This is great news overall but I wish we we're told sooner.

After the burning my original concepts received I picked up the pieces from the only thing that had got some positive crit, my bash kit, and I started from there. The pieces for the bash kit came from my original Pinterest/moodboards but this time I stuck things together with no real goal in mind; I just wanted to create some interesting silhouettes.

Bash kit into characters

When I had finally picked a silhouette pairing I began exploring what the characters could be and I settled on a feudal Japan theme, certain aspects of the silhouettes just made my mind think of that era. The final duo are a young girl and an older uncle/grandparent type character.  I also did not skip the colour iterations this time and I think they have already helped me create a stronger duo, but I do think that the process needs some working on.

Final iterations then the orthographics

The Duo!

I powered through the concepting stage over the weekend to try and keep on schedule as the deadline had not been pushed back yet, it would have been nicer to have been able to spend more time refining certain parts of it but I do think I have a stronger duo now than with my previous design. I'm still planning on getting this finished for the original deadline; the extra week I'll use to do some cool extra stuff that I'd love to do with the majority of my projects. I want to have a go at doing a final 2D piece of both characters, maybe another poster and if I can I might start modelling the girl.

At the moment I have just finished doing the base model of the big guy and I am preparing him for Z-Brush, I've taken all the precautions I can to try and stop the horrible seams my turret had but it will only be until after I'm done will I know if I have been successful.


By the end of the next week I'd like the model to be fully textured and in engine, but after the baking fiasco I had last time I'm not going to hold my breath. This assignment so far hasn't made me want to go fetal and I don't plan on it forcing me to either, the same time next week however I will have found out the outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment