Thursday 29 May 2014

End of Year 1.

I have now finished the first year of the Game Art course, but before I disappear for the summer I have a few pieces of work I'd like to show of what I did in the final term. The first batch of images are some general traditional drawings from various tasks that I'm pretty certain I haven't shown yet.

Traditional Drawings

We went to Bradgate Park again and this time I wanted to do a final in pen, I don't know why but I prefer using a decent pen than a pencil, especially for quick sketching.


The final Visual Design project of the year was to return to the New Walk Museum and produce a 2 hour final. I decided to use pencil just in case I made a mistake, I didn't want to ruin a 2 hour drawing with no undo's! I did warm-up drawings before the final too. The final piece I feel is a lot more tonally interesting than my other drawings, I just wish I finished it.



Roughly 2 hour final

1920's Chicago

The last big project was to design either a character, vehicle or building from 1920's Chicago. This was a 2 week project so we had a good amount of time to try things out, which is exactly what I did. I wasn't sure what subject matter I was going to at first, so I researched a bit of everything until eventually I wanted to draw some 1920's people.

After doing the assortment of above characters I decided to make my finals about the moonshiners, an area of the 1920's that I think is actually quite interesting. The first painting I tried to paint straight into colour, which eventually led to me scrapping the image, I definitely need more practice using colour. I scaled back my next attempt at the digital painting and kept it values only.

First attempt
I also had time to do another painting of a moonshiner which was a bit more extra practice.

Master Study

As a quick final project for the year, we had to study and reproduce a master painting. I found doing the master study extremely helpful, in places it really showed how poor my colour perception is but this is something I can hopefully improve. I'm without a doubt going to continue to do master studies during the summer break.

[1]
I was planning on focusing entirely on my 2D skills during the break but I have just found out we've been given a few summer tasks, one is to read Mortal Engines [2] and another is create a small playable area with the usual constraints. Thankfully the brief is fairly open so I can have some fun with it and have already started to plan out the level and ideas around it, I will still be doing plenty of 2D practice though, both studying and just for fun. The drawing for fun is something I have only just got back into, but so far it's been refreshing with some satisfying results! I will post a few up eventually

Notes & References
[1] Black Bashi-Bazouk 1869-1869. Original painting by Jean Leon Gerome.
[2] Mortal Engines (2001) from the Mortal Engines Quartet series. Written by Philip Reeve.

No comments:

Post a Comment