Thursday 21 November 2013

Cars, bones & more cars.

After Bradgate Park our weekly drawing task was to sit in a local Museum and sketch the bones, this was a nice change simply because we didn't need to fight the weather! The museum is quite small, but had 3 quite large dinosaur skeletons in there, with plenty of other smaller skeletons placed around them.


The bones of a Plateosaurus, Fox, Anteater, Turkey and a Tree Kangaroo

While the dinosaur bones were fascinating I found the intricacy of the smaller skeletons much more interesting. The small skeletons were of much more mundane animals but that didn't bother me much, so for my final instead of focusing on one of the massive dinosaurs that loomed over everything I picked a small skeleton of a turkey. The turkey was standing in a corner, over-shadowed by a huge dinosaur yet the features of the neck and skull of the turkey attracted the attention of my eye.

Turkey final
The next drawing task was to draw cars. I've had a good amount of practice drawing people and landscapes, but cars are my Achilles' heel, I did not want to be beaten by them so I drew a lot of cars. I hit the required 12 cars needed for the task and kept going. I wasn't worried about hitting the target number of drawings for that week, I just wanted to get better at drawing cars! Below are a selection of sketches.




The final drawing I picked one of my favourite cars, the Subaru Impreza (Yeah, I know I have bad taste...). After spending 4 days practicing I was feeling a lot more confident in producing something I'd be proud of. The line drawing I was happy with but as I began to add values to the car I felt it slipping away from me, I definitely need practice on car rendering.The wheels also caused me problems through out, especially the spokes on the alloys so I left them as plain as possible to not draw attention to them.

Final - Subaru Impreza WRX STI 2005


No comments:

Post a Comment